The restaurant and food diary of a full-time NYC-based foodie. These days, I'm in love with great food, technology, startups, social entrepreneurism, photography and travel.

November 11, 2006

Basta Pasta - Italian/Japanese Fusion

Basta Pasta is definitely one of my favorite NY restaurants - the restaurant is set in Chelsea and is always bright and constantly lively. There's an open kitchen in the center of the room out of which lovely smells emanate and large rounds of cheese are constantly making their way to tables.

The interior:
open kitchen In The Basta Pasta Kitchen
Shots of interior courtesy of vanillalattegirl and Dan Dickinson

The Food:

Smoked sliced duck breast with watercress and arugula ($11) - probably one of my favorite salads ever. The duck breast is incredible tender and has a really intense, smokey flavor. The bitterness of the arugula ties the entire salad together perfectly.

Fluke Carpaccio ($12) - very delicately flavored with a fine layer of "freshly grated" salt.

Spaghetti with shiitake, mozzarella & fresh tomatoes ($15) - my favorite dish! I love shiitake and it works really well with the mozzarella and perfectly ripe tomatoes.

Spaghetti with shrimp and okra ($14) - very spicy and fresh.


Basta Pasta

Basta Pasta

Basta Pasta on Urbanspoon
Directions: N, R; 4, 5, 6 at 14th St.-Union Sq.; L at Sixth Ave.

4 comments:

mini said...

mmm i love japanese western food! :)

the pastas look reallly yum

Anonymous said...

This looks really delicious, last year I was looking around Italy for a new home and decided on a Calabria property, the local quisine was fantastic and it made me realize just how good Italian food is.

Anonymous said...

This looks really delicious, last year I was looking around Italy for a new home and decided on a Calabria property, the local quisine was fantastic and it made me realize just how good Italian food is.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it's just me or if everyone else encountering issues with your site.
It appears as though some of the text within your posts are running off the screen.
Can someone else please comment and let me know if
this is happening to them too? This may be a issue with my web browser
because I've had this happen before. Thanks

Feel free to surf to my web blog: does green coffee bean max work